A former technology director in our area used the term "intelligent classroom" to describe a classroom that was rich with technology tools. With the influx of interactive whiteboards, iPods, and yearly cycle of replacement computers, the term was used to ask what such a classroom would look like.

So there are some tremendously thoughtful people reading this. Specific content areas aside, what technologies should every classroom be equipped with?

What about outside of the classroom? After all, the School 2.0 diagram portrays our schools as very much outside the bricks and mortar of our current model.

I'll post the results from the responses in another post. Don't be shy, consider it a wishlist.

(cross posted at my Classroom 2.0 & Streaming Thoughts)

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think at a bare minimum, a smart classroom should contain a ceiling-mounted data projector and sound system so that the teacher can display electronic teaching resources. It would be really great if the classroom also had an interactive whiteboard so students could engage with the electronic resources. I've seen IWBs demonstrated, and it is amazing the types of interactive resources you can easily create using the included software. Really engaging stuff! The smart classroom will need at least half a dozen multimedia computers, but more would be better. A digital camera and microphone will also help enable blogging and podcasting if the teacher wishes to engage with these collaborative technologies.
Yes, but the tools are not what it is all about....the literacy is. We need students to graduate with literacies that enable them to not only survive but to thrive in the 21st century...
Durf, I totally agree. One of my purposes in starting this discussion was to have teachers see that they already have many of the tools needed to start or build upon an "Intelligent Classroom". Many of the teachers in my area already have many of the tools described by those who have replied. Yet, they still don't see that the even have them or even realize the potential for learning that already resides at their fingertips.

Maybe we should have a discussion about what base software is available on common operating systems that lend themselves to teaching and learning literacies.
I think Andrew's post covers the basics to what would be required in a classroom such as you describe. I also agree with Durff wholeheartedly - so many new technologies are purchased and sit wasted and becoming obsolete because teachers are not supported in learning the capabilities, or have a narrow view of what they can be used for. In many schools, the whole approach to the use of technology is an issue. And as someone who is employed to advocate the use of ICT in the classroom, I often have to overcome an attitude that assumes I think technology is the 'be all and end all' of educational reform, rather than a tool that needs to be effectively utilised when appropriate.
Thanks for your comment Suzanne. I also have to overcome that attitude that assumes we think technology is a panacea. The first question I always ask educators is "what is your goal?" This seems to work most of the time, but as you eluded to, teachers often put the cart before the horse and come to me with a tool and say what can I do with this? While it's a legitimate question I think that they ought to be searching for a problem (i.e. - a broken fence) and then search for the best tool (i.e. - the saw and hammer).

I'd like to continue with this post on my blog... http://bcsmith.edublogs.org. I have added a follow-up post there already (The List). Adding more information about each technology and how it can be used in the classroom to make the learning more engaging and relevant would be ideal. I'll see how it goes starting out the year and see where it takes me. :)

RSS

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service