I'm trying to put together a short list of some good titles about authentic learning and student engagement to share at my campus. A group of us has already read Daniel Pink's Whole New Mind.

I'm thinking about Marc Prensky, for one. I have Game of School on my shelf to read, but haven't had time to check it out yet.

Other ideas or suggestions? Figured this was a great place to get inspiring choices!

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James Paul Gee
Ian Juke's list of recommended reading is very good: http://tinyurl.com/27s4c5 .

And yes, Gee's What Video Games Have to Teach Us... is a must read. If you like Gee's stuff, you'll also like Sasha Barab's work (more scholarly, not for the faint hearted).

I'd also recommend Cult of the Amateur - it will certainly get you thinking. We've been getting together in Second Life to discuss it. I'll make sure future meetings are posted on our EBW calendar (coming soon).

Anyway, that should keep you busy for a while. :)
Thanks! I'm trying to read Gee's book now as well as Prensky's.

I'll post my list when done!
The new Gee book? I'm still reading the 2003 one. I read in spurts. His writing is much better than many of the popular writers and he is not writing just to sell books.
I'm going to take you back a few years, but:

Seymour Papert's, The Children's Machine

is well worth the read and makes strong connections between student centered learning and the use of technology.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service