Kids Afield Project - Digital Cameras as a means of reinforcing children's connection to Nature

Your Name and Title:

Robin K. Long

Teacher Environmental Education, Biology and General Science

School or Organization Name:

The Harley School

Area of the World from Which You Will Present:

Rochester, NY USA

Short Session Description (one line):

Kids Afield: Employing digital cameras to reinforce children's connection to Nature.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like):

Kids Afield was the result of collaboration between myself, an environmental teacher, and two early childhood educators as we discovered that putting Kid-Friendly digital cameras in the hands of primary students (K-1) gave them ownership of outdoor exploration on the school campus. With the limitations of only a few classroom hours per week, the project has successfully fused two intrinsic early childhood fascinations: the outdoors and technology as well as provided a visual record of the natural world that is easily shared with parents - or the world - even as it opens doors to student led scientific inquiry and myth making. This project is easily exportable to others schools and learning environments for minimal financial output. A short discussion/explanation of VoiceThread as tool for visual-audio-text sharing will be included.

While primary children are the focus of our work, this session invites the shared experiences of teachers at all levels working and/or wanting to support children's connection to the Earth. Caring for the world is a natural response to having an awareness of its mysteries and experiencing enjoyment of it's resources.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

connectchildrentonature.wikispaces.com

mindtalkertoo.blogspot.com

Short 100 word bio of your background and experience in education:

In 1974, a homeschooler influenced by the Open Classroom Movement, I attempted to bring an experimental open-classroom to my local rural school - a near success. A project-based science classroom teacher (1987- 2012) at an Independent School, I left the classroom to continue as a educational 'Yearner' (Seymour Papert, 1993) in new directions. Frequently, a presenter at NY State science conventions/workshops, for years I’ve sought support from the online community of innovative educators largely via podcast. I continue to explore how my experiences and skills can connect with a wider audience of educators and students.

Tags: K-8, learning, science, technology

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robin,

Is this proposal different from the earlier one that has been accepted?  Just checking, making sure I'm not missing something!

Amy

.I think when I transferred the information to the form where one signed up for a presentation time I shortened the Title a bit as it seemed unnecessarily long and was pretty much the same as the One line description. Maybe that's what confused you...also, I realize that I may have entered the information twice on the My Discussion area...I had a lot of tabs open when I was doing it...was going to check back and see if that was the case, but forgot to...but anyway, to answer your question: The presentation is the same as what was accepted...sorry about the confusion...

Robin

No worries.  Just wanted to be sure you weren't submitting two different proposals.  Thanks!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service